As the winter chill sets in, there’s nothing quite like a comforting bowl of soup to warm you up from the inside out. This plant-based escarole and white bean soup is not only delicious but also packed with wholesome ingredients that will nourish your body. Featuring the earthy flavors of escarole, the creaminess of white beans, and the aromatic touch of rosemary and garlic, this soup is a perfect addition to your winter recipe repertoire.
- 1 large head of escarole, washed and chopped
- 2 cans (15 oz each) white beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Prepare the Vegetables:
- Start by chopping the escarole, onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Set aside.
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and garlic, sautéing until they become translucent and fragrant.
- Stir in the carrots and celery, cooking for an additional 5 minutes until the vegetables start to soften.
- Add the chopped escarole to the pot, letting it wilt down. Escarole has a slightly bitter taste, which adds depth to the soup.
Introduce White Beans:
- Pour in the drained and rinsed white beans, stirring well to combine with the vegetables.
- Add the diced tomatoes, including their juice, to the pot. This will provide a rich and flavorful base for the soup.
Infuse with Rosemary:
- Sprinkle dried rosemary over the ingredients, giving the soup a fragrant and herbal note. Adjust the quantity based on your preference.
Pour in Vegetable Broth:
- Pour in the vegetable broth, ensuring that all the ingredients are well-submerged. Bring the soup to a gentle simmer.
Simmer to Perfection:
- Reduce the heat to low and let the soup simmer for at least 30 minutes. This allows the flavors to meld together, creating a harmonious and satisfying soup.
Season to Taste:
- Season the soup with salt and pepper, adjusting the amounts according to your liking.
Serve and Enjoy:
- Ladle the hot soup into bowls and serve with a side of crusty bread or a sprinkle of nutritional yeast for added flavor.
This plant-based escarole and white bean soup is a delightful way to combat the winter cold. Packed with nutrient-rich ingredients and infused with the aromatic blend of rosemary and garlic, it’s a bowl of warmth that will leave you feeling satisfied and nourished. So, next time you crave a cozy meal on a cold winter’s day, whip up a pot of this hearty soup and let its flavors transport you to a place of comfort and contentment.
THE VEGAN BURGER
We promise. This will be the best burger you’ve ever tasted and we mean it!
Explore Dr. Jessica’s accolades over the past 17+ years.
READ DR. JESSICA’S STORY
In 1996, something happened that changed my life forever. And, in turn changed many other lives, too. At the time I was in college working toward my degree in Psychology & Criminology. The summer before my senior year of college I was hit head on by a drunk driver.