The community garden at Pillar Holistic Living is producing cucumbers like crazy ( and dill too)! It is so amazing to see how well the garden is thriving. Over the weekend I made a big jar of refrigerator ( no special canning procedure necessary) cucumber pickles that got two thumbs up from BOTH my husband and son! In fact, my son said he much preferred these pickles over his former favorites from a certain grocery store.
I tweaked a recipe I found online to suit the mason jar and ingredients I had available.
What you will need:
- 3 cups of filtered water
- 3/4 cups of white vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons of fine pink Himalayan salt
- 3 Tablespoons of tri-colored peppercorns
- 6 teaspoons of minced garlic
- 1 bunch ( about 3/4-1 cup) of fresh dill sprigs
- 8- 12 pickling cucumbers ( our cucumbers were quite large so I cut them into spears and then into halves to fit in the jar)
- 1 bay leave per jar ( I used 1 large mason jar approximately 32 ounces, so I used 4 bay leaves)
- 1/2 teaspoon of dill seeds ( optional)
- Put all the ingredients into a large bowl or pitcher and stir together well
- Pour ingredients into mason jar (s)
- Add pickles to the mason jar making sure they are submerged in the liquid
- If there is not enough liquid add even parts of water and vinegar to top off
- Cover tightly
- Refrigerate for 24 hour for all flavors to marry
THE VEGAN BURGER
We promise. This will be the best burger you’ve ever tasted and we mean it!
Explore Dr. Jessica’s accolades over the past 17+ years.
READ DR. JESSICA’S STORY
In 1996, something happened that changed my life forever. And, in turn changed many other lives, too. At the time I was in college working toward my degree in Psychology & Criminology. The summer before my senior year of college I was hit head on by a drunk driver.