- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or a mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour)
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (or another unrefined sugar of your choice)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 cup dairy-free, dark chocolate chips (look for options with higher cocoa content)
- 1 cup canned pumpkin puree (or homemade)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (or any plant-based milk)
- 1/4 cup melted coconut oil or olive oil
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Line a muffin tin with paper liners or lightly grease it.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour, coconut sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, and ginger).
- In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients: pumpkin puree, unsweetened applesauce, almond milk, melted coconut oil (or olive oil), and vanilla extract. Mix until well combined.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until just combined. Be careful not to overmix; a few lumps are okay.
- Gently fold in the dairy-free dark chocolate chips into the batter.
- Using a spoon or an ice cream scoop, fill each muffin cup about 2/3 full with the batter.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean (with some melted chocolate on it).
- Remove the muffins from the oven and allow them to cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes. Then, transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the muffins are cool, enjoy your healthier vegan pumpkin chocolate chip muffins!
These muffins are a better-for-you option with whole wheat flour, unrefined sugar, and healthier fat sources. They’re still delicious and perfect for a guilt-free treat. Enjoy!